Career Change Course
Suitable for all levels
This course (run over nine sessions) will allow frustrated florists to fulfill their floral dreams!
- Each session we will cover a different aspect of floral design, looking at the theory behind the designs and then creating them to take home.
- The emphasis will be on covering a wide variety of designs that any working florist would be expected to know.
- There is a whole session dedicated to the business of floristry too....you will have all the know how to start your own business after the course.
- There is ongoing mentoring and support once you finish too.
- The course is structured to allow the greatest opportunity for practice and study in between sessions.
- We start with three intensive days together and then change to once every week or two for seven further sessions.
- A 'Secret' Facebook group is set up for each course so there is ample opportunity for contact with each other and the tutor between sessions.
- Please look at the 'Dates' section of the website for dates of each session.
- Georgia is helped by Christine of 'Blooming Awesome' who works as a wedding florist and did the Career Change course herself three years ago.
- The course includes an accompanied trip to Covent Garden Flower Market (travel costs etc at own expense)
- The course also includes an optional two hour workshop (after hours, small fee payable) with an ex Career Change student who will chat to you about all the ins and outs of the first year or so of business
- On completion of the course you will receive a Certificate of Completion.
The course includes all materials, refreshments and lunch. You also receive a toolbox with scissors, knife, rose stripper etc to get you started....
You take all your designs home with you.
We are happy to accept deposits to secure your place.
If you would like to chat to any of the past students do just let us know and we will put you in touch or you can look on the Alumni section of the website for their stories....
We are happy to teach the course One to One on dates to suit you (1-1 rates apply)
- Sourcing and Conditioning materials and establishing a toolbox
- Books, websites and information sources
- Dealing with wholesalers
- Working with floral foam
- Table Arrangements -considerations/transport/containers etc
- *Low circular, wreath arrangement
- *Tall candelabra as a high arrangement
- *Top Table design -assymetrical
- Transferance of techniques to other designs
- The Business of floristry- set up/accountants etc
- Flowers for the Home - Retail designs -how to price for retail
- Taking card payments etc
- Reducing waste etc
- Health and Safety -risk assessments, COSHH etc
- Labelling etc
- Wrapping techniques -Trad., 'Chelsea' and counter wrap
- *Spiralled Hand Tied and Aqua Packed Bouquet
- *Wiring -Buttonholes and Corsages
- Funerals -How to take a funeral order
- Funeral designs -discussion
- *Single ended Coffin spray
- *Based posy pad with ribboned edging
- Wedding consultations
- Wedding/Event pricing
- Terms and Conditions
- The enquiry process
- Presentation of designs
- Wedding Fairs etc
- *Hand Tied wedding bouquet with ribboned handle
- Weddings continued...
- Elements and Principles of Design
- * Large urn arrangement - chicken wire, Eco considerations in floral design
- *Wiring continued
- Working on site
- Working as a freelancer (dictated flower choice)
- Large scale designs
- Transportation/Logistics etc
- *Seasonal Door Wreath and Garland -moss based/tied
- *Making bows
- Corporate flowers- discussion
- Final Test -written
- End of course lunch and 'gap filling'
"The course was filled with love, laughter, support
and genuine encouragement. Not just from Georgia but from Christine who was
assisting Georgia and all the other girls on the course. Each week we would
learn different sections of floristry as well as be able to practice and each
week one or a few of the girls would have woes and worries about their new
business ventures and we'd all listen and support each other, giving advice and
brain storming to try and sort any problem out" Jenna from Ivy Florence