Career Change Course
Suitable for all levels
This course (run over nine sessions) will allow frustrated florists to fulfill their floral dreams!
- Each session we will cover a different aspect of floral design, looking at the theory behind the designs and then creating them to take home.
- The emphasis will be on covering a wide variety of designs that any working florist would be expected to know.
- There is a whole session dedicated to the business of floristry too....you will have all the know how to start your own business after the course.
- There is ongoing mentoring and support once you finish too.
- The course is structured to allow the greatest opportunity for practice and study in between sessions.
- We start with three intensive days together and then change to once every week or two for seven further sessions (slightly different 'layout' for Group B)
- A 'Secret' What's App group is set up for each course so there is ample opportunity for contact with each other and the tutor between sessions. This remains open after the course finishes.
- Please look at the 'Dates' section of the website for dates of each session. There are two courses running -Group A and Group B -dates are below and on the dates page. Group A runs 10am to 4pm. Group B runs 9am to 3pm. This is to offer the most flexibility to students with children. Any confusion or questions please e mail me!
- Georgia is helped by Christine of 'Blooming Awesome' who works as a wedding florist and did the Career Change course herself many years ago.
- The course includes an accompanied trip to Covent Garden Flower Market (travel costs etc at own expense)
- On completion of the course you will receive a Certificate of Completion, a new career and friends for life!
The course includes all materials, refreshments and lunch. You also receive a toolbox with scissors, knife, rose stripper etc to get you started....
You take all your designs home with you.
We are happy to accept deposits of £500 to secure your place.
If you would like to chat to any of the past students do just let us know and we will put you in touch or you can look on the Alumni section of the website for their stories....
We are happy to teach the course One to One on dates to suit you (1-1 rates apply)
Session One-Three (19th, 20th, 21st September 2018 Group A) (28th September 2018,5th October 2018,12th October 2018 Group B)
- Sourcing and Conditioning materials and establishing a toolbox
- Books, websites and information sources
- Dealing with wholesalers
- Working with floral foam
- Table Arrangements -considerations/transport/containers etc
- Introduction to the first three of the 'must know' shapes
- *Low circular, wreath arrangement -circle
- *Tall candelabra as a high arrangement - sphere
- *Top Table design -asymmetrical/double sided
- Transferance of techniques to other designs
- Your business plan (don't be scared!)...
- The Business of floristry- set up/accountants etc
- Business registration, branding, website etc
- Social Media -how to use to your advantage
Session Four (27th September 2018 Group A) (19th October 2018 Group B)
- Flowers for the Home - Retail designs -how to price for retail (versus event)
- Taking card payments etc -options
- Reducing waste etc
- Health and Safety requirements/insurance etc -risk assessments, COSHH etc
- Labelling legally etc
- Wrapping techniques -Trad., 'Chelsea' and counter wrap
- *Spiralled Hand Tied and Aqua Packed Bouquet, wrapping techniques cont.
- *Wiring -Buttonholes and Corsages -Introduction
Session Five (4th October 2018 group A) (2nd November 2018 group B)
- Funerals -How to take a funeral order -considerations
- Funeral designs -discussion
- The 'Cross' shape
- *Single ended Coffin spray
- *Based posy pad with ribboned edging
Session Six (18th October 2018 Group A) (9th November 2018 Group B)
- Wedding consultations
- Wedding/Event pricing
- Terms and Conditions
- The enquiry process
- Presentation of designs
- Hiring kit to brides
- Wedding Fairs/promotion etc
- *Hand Tied wedding bouquet with ribboned handle
Session Seven (25th October 2018 Group A) (13th November 2018 Group B)
- Corporate design- the ins and outs
- Elements and Principles of Design
- * Large urn arrangement - chicken wire, Eco considerations in floral design
- Working with moss as a medium -discussion ref. Christmas door wreaths
- *Wiring continued
Session Eight (1st November 2018 Group A) (14th November 2018 Group B)
- Working on site -legalities and logistics
- Working as a freelancer (dictated flower choice)
- Large scale designs
- Transportation/Logistics etc
- * Large Pedestal (bring your big car!)
Session Nine (8th November 2018 Group A) (15th November 2018 Group B)
- *Bridal Shower Bouquet in a foam holder
- Consolidation of learning 'Test' -written, marked in class (not pass or fail!)
- Covent Garden Flower Market trip planning
- Where from here -options
- Flower Therapy invitations!
"The course was filled with love, laughter, support
and genuine encouragement. Not just from Georgia but from Christine who was
assisting Georgia and all the other girls on the course. Each week we would
learn different sections of floristry as well as be able to practice and each
week one or a few of the girls would have woes and worries about their new
business ventures and we'd all listen and support each other, giving advice and
brain storming to try and sort any problem out" Jenna from Ivy Florence
"Just a wee note to say a HUGE thank you for such a wonderful couple of months on the Career Change Course. I have loved every minute of it and will miss my weekly dose of the TSFS medicine! You are a fantastic teacher and mentor and you offer such a unique and nourishing learning environment." Emma May 2018