Career Change Course
Suitable for all levels
This course (run over nine sessions) will allow frustrated florists to fulfill their floral dreams!
- Each session we will cover a different aspect of floral design, looking at the theory behind the designs and then creating them to take home.
- The emphasis will be on covering a wide variety of designs that any working florist would be expected to know.
- There is a whole session dedicated to the business of floristry too....you will have all the know how to start your own business after the course.
- There is ongoing mentoring and support once you finish too.
- The course is structured to allow the greatest opportunity for practice and study in between sessions.
- We generally start with three intensive days together and then change to once every week or two for seven further sessions
- A 'Secret' What's App group is set up for each course so there is ample opportunity for contact with each other and the tutor between sessions. This remains open after the course finishes.
- The Sussex Flower School Forum is available for work experience and job opportunities
- Flower Therapy is available for ongoing networking and support
- Dates for Autumn 2019 are: 17th/18th/19th/ 27th September, 4th/18th/25th October and 8th/15th November.
- Please look at the 'Dates' section of the website for dates of each session (also see above list)
- Georgia is helped by Christine of 'Blooming Awesome' who works as a wedding florist and did the Career Change course herself many years ago. You will probably meet lots of other alumni too as the course starts...
- The course includes an accompanied trip to Covent Garden Flower Market (travel costs etc at own expense)
- On completion of the course you will receive a Certificate of Completion, a new career and friends for life!
The course includes all materials, refreshments and lunch. You also receive a toolbox with scissors, knife, rose stripper etc to get you started....
You take all your designs home with you.
We are happy to accept deposits of £500 to secure your place.
If you would like to chat to any of the past students do just let us know and we will put you in touch...feel free to join The Sussex Flower School Forum (Facebook group) too to see what everyone is up to and see how many job opportunities we can offer...
We are happy to teach the course One to One on dates to suit you (1-1 rates apply)
- Sourcing and Conditioning materials and establishing a toolbox
- Books, websites and information sources
- Dealing with wholesalers
- Working with floral foam
- Table Arrangements -considerations/transport/containers etc
- Introduction to the first three of the 'must know' shapes
- *Low circular, wreath arrangement -circle
- *Tall candelabra as a high arrangement - sphere
- *Top Table design -asymmetrical/double sided
- Transferance of techniques to other designs
- Your business plan (don't be scared!)...
- SWOT analysis, GANT charts etc
- The Business of floristry- set up/accountants etc
- Business registration, branding, website etc
- Social Media -how to use to your advantage
- Creation of a Mood Board -your vision
- Flowers for the Home - Retail designs -how to price for retail (versus event)
- Taking card payments etc -options
- Reducing waste etc
- Health and Safety requirements/insurance etc -risk assessments, COSHH, ROSPA etc
- Labelling legally etc
- Wrapping techniques -Trad., 'Chelsea' and counter wrap
- *Spiralled Hand Tied and Aqua Packed Bouquet, wrapping techniques cont.
- *Wiring -Buttonholes and Corsages -Introduction
- Funerals -How to take a funeral order -considerations
- Funeral designs -discussion
- The 'Cross' shape
- *Small single ended coffin spray
- *Based posy pad with ribboned edging
- Wedding consultations
- Wedding/Event pricing
- Terms and Conditions
- The enquiry process
- Presentation of designs
- Hiring kit to brides
- Wedding Fairs/promotion etc
- *Hand Tied wedding bouquet with ribboned handle ,
- Discussion of 'egg' technique...how to deal with wild and free designs...
- Corporate design- the ins and outs
- Elements and Principles of Design
- * Large urn arrangement - chicken wire, Eco considerations in floral design
- Working with moss as a medium -discussion ref. Christmas door wreaths
- *Wiring - flower crown
- Working on site -legalities and logistics
- Working as a freelancer (dictated flower choice)
- Large scale designs
- Transportation/Logistics etc
- * Large Pedestal (bring your big car!)
- *Bridal Shower Bouquet in a foam holder
- Consolidation of learning 'Test' -written, marked in class (not pass or fail!)
- Where from here -options
- Flower Therapy invitations! How to stay in the loop...
"How do we adequately thank you for everything you have taught us: flowers and more. The best course I have ever done!" Lisa, Lion and Castle
"The course was filled with love, laughter, support
and genuine encouragement. Not just from Georgia but from Christine who was
assisting Georgia and all the other girls on the course. Each week we would
learn different sections of floristry as well as be able to practice and each
week one or a few of the girls would have woes and worries about their new
business ventures and we'd all listen and support each other, giving advice and
brain storming to try and sort any problem out" Jenna, Ivy Florence
"Just a wee note to say a HUGE thank you for such a wonderful couple of months on the Career Change Course. I have loved every minute of it and will miss my weekly dose of the TSFS medicine! You are a fantastic teacher and mentor and you offer such a unique and nourishing learning environment." Emma, The Flower Hand